Discover the delicious flavour of homemade rye bread, once you have tasted this real bread, you will never want store bought bread again.Content information
- Feb 08, 2017
½ cup of warm water
1 ½ tablespoons of treacle
2 teaspoons of dried yeast
2 cups of rye flour
1 cup of plain flour
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of finely grated orange rind
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
Caraway and fennel seeds extra to sprinkle
- Combine the water, treacle and yeast in a small jug. Set aside for minutes or until frothy.
- Combine the rye flour, plain flour, salt, orange rind, fennel seeds, caraway seeds and cardamom in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the oil and yeast mixture into the well and stir until mixture just comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 – 15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a large bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draft free place for 1 ½ hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Use your fist to punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 – 3 minutes or until dough returns to original size.
- Preheat oven to 220 and line oven tray with baking paper. Shape the dough into a ball or whatever shape you prefer and place on lined tray. Lightly brush with a little water. Sprinkle with extra fennel and caraway seeds. Use a sharp knife to cut a cross in the centre of the dough, about 1cm deep. Loosely cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draft free place for 30 minutes to an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Turn it down to 180c and bake for a further 20 – 25 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Recipe kindly provided by Whispering Pines Organics.