SASKIA BEER ROAST PHEASANT SALAD
SASKIA BEER ROAST PHEASANT SALADContent information
- Jun 07, 2018
1 x Saskia Beer corn fed pheasant
2 x bulbs witlof
1 x orange
1 x shallot
¼ bunch thyme
¼ bunch Radicchio
1 clove garlic
¼ bunch rocket
10 juniper berries
50ml olive oil
20ml Maggie Beer Vino cotto
30 ml Maggie Beer verjuice
20 ml EVOO
Murray river salt
1 x lemon – zest and juice
1. Zest the orange and squeeze for the juice
2. Bruise juniper berries
3. Slice garlic
4. Strip thyme leaves
5. Mix the zest, garlic, thyme, juniper, orange juice, and olive oil together.
6. Make an incision between the skin of the Maryland and the breast buffet and separate the legs (keeping the back bone on)
from the breast frame (buffet). Marinate the pheasant for at least 6 hours – but preferably 1-2 days ahead of time. Turning
the pheasant at least once a day.
7. When ready to prepare the salad – pull the pheasant out of the fridge 2-3 hours in advance and let it get to room
8. Season the pheasant with salt and pepper.
9. Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees (fan forced) and place the pheasant into a roasting pan breast side up.
10. For a .800-1kg bird cook the pheasant for 10-12 minutes - For a 1.1kg+ bird cook for 14 minutes
11. Bring out of the oven and rest breast down, covered with a tea towel for approx. 35 minutes before carving.
12. Prepare your salad, start by thinly slicing the shallots
13. Mix vino cotto, olive oil, juice of ½ lemon and 2 tablespoons of pickling liquid (if available)
14. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper
15. Strip two sprigs of thyme
16. Slice the base of the witlof bulbs and separate the leaves tear the radicchio into similar size portions to the witlof. Add
rocket, and pickled grapes or thinly sliced pickled quinces.
17. Mix the salad in the vinaigrette and place on a large platter.
18. Carve the pheasant and lay on top of the dressed salad – finish with another drizzle of olive oil if required.
Recipe kindy supplied by Saskia Beer