Vegan cauliflower nuggets & Kakadu plum chilli sauce
A delicious meat free alternative to traditional chicken nuggets full fibre and flavour! This vegan recipe makes a fabulous side for mid-week meals or a great addition to a crudités platter.Content information
- Apr 09, 2018
Vegan Cauliflower Nuggets
1 3/4 cups cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp onion powder
Pinch of garlic powder
1/8 cup unsweetened crispy/ popped amaranth
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk [we used soy]
Pinch of smoked paprika powder
1 Tbsp salsa
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Combine all dry ingredients into one large bowl and all wet ingredients into another.
3. Dip the cauliflower pieces into the milk. Then dip in the flour mixture and coat.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the cauliflower in a single layer.
5. Bake for twenty minutes, flipping half way through until golden all over.
6. Remove the sheet from the oven. Dip the cauliflower into the remaining milk and return to the oven for five more minutes.
7. Serve hot or cold. Garnish with fresh herbs of your choosing (coriander is a great match!)
Kakadu Plum Chilli Sauce
Servings: 4 (about 1 cup)
550g whole wild plums (or pitted regular plums)
2 Tbsp Freeze Dried Kakadu Plum Powder
3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 small red chilli peper
1 Tbsp fresh ginger root (minced)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp soy sauce (or salt to taste)
1/4 tsp shallot or onion salt (optional)
As needed: sugar or other sweetener and/or vinegar
1. Wash plums and place in a saucepan and add water just to barely cover them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until skins have burst and plums are soft, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
2. Place a colander over a bowl. Put the plums in the colander and press with the back of a spoon to squeeze out the juice. (You could also do this in a cheesecloth bag). Allow the plums to drain until all juice is removed (set juice aside for later).
3. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the minced garlic, chilli pepper and ginger in a tablespoon of water for 2 minutes, adding more water if needed to prevent sticking.
4. Add the plum juice and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a low boil and simmer until mixture reduces and thickens by almost half. Taste to see if any sauce is sweet or sour enough; if not add sweetener or vinegar to taste.
Serve with your vegan cauliflower nuggets!
Recipes kindly provided by The Australian Superfood Co